Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas
- 1. This tour is a self-guided motorcycle tour that has stops throughout the state of Texas. It is designed to be a fun tour, not a race.
- 2. The tour is open to all types of two and three wheeled motorcycles (but not autocycles, such as Slingshots). All participants must be at least 18 years old. Riders (motorcycle operators) must be licensed to operate a motorcycle. Riders are to be safety conscious and obey traffic laws. Participants are to register for the tour via the tour web page. For a passenger to take part as a tour participant, the passenger will need to register separately from the rider (i.e. motorcycle operator). When both rider and passenger are registered, both of their tour flags (placards) must be displayed in the photos submitted for both to receive tour stop credit. There is a $32.00 registration fee (per person) to participate in the 2023 tour.
- 3. Registration on the tour website will open on January 1, 2023 and will close on February 28, 2023. Registration flags (placards) will be mailed to the registered riders in March 2023.
- 4. Participants in the tour will visit tour stops that include roadside attractions, historical sites, memorials, unique geography, biker friendly businesses that sponsor the tour, and non-profit organizations that the tour helps support. Our sponsors help make the tour possible. When you make a sponsored stop, be sure to let them know you are on the tour.
- 5. There will be fifty (50) regular tour stops and three alternative tour stops. Riders may substitute an alternative tour stop in lieu of a regular tour stop. Riders may start riding the tour upon receipt of their 2023 tour flags. The 2023 tour will end on November 15, 2023. The tour stop locations will be posted on the tour stops page. To be considered a Tour Finisher, registered participants must submit qualifying pictures for at least twenty-five (25) tour stops.
- 6. Registered Riders/Passengers will be provided with a tour flag (placard). Each tour flag will have a unique number. The participants are to take a picture (the words picture and photo are used interchangeably) of their motorcycle and their tour flag at the tour stop. Ensure that the picture shows the tour stop in the background (i.e. signage, statue, etc.) and that your tour flag number is clearly visible in the picture. Pictures submitted shall not be altered in any way by the submitter. A participant that uses photo editing software to alter a picture may be dismissed from tour participation. If it is unsafe to take the picture, do not take it. If conditions make it impossible and/or unsafe to get your motorcycle in the picture, but you can get a picture of your rally flag and yourself in the picture safely, do so. If you submit a picture without your motorcycle, you and your rally flag must be in the picture. Up to five (5) of your pictures may be without your motorcycle in the picture. If you lose your tour flag, you are to notify the Tour Director. Upon notification, you will be sent an invoice in the amount of $5.75 for a replacement tour flag to be mailed to you. While waiting for your replacement tour flag, you may submit up to nine (9) tour stop pictures with a hand-made tour flag. For the hand-made tour flag, use an 8/12 inch by 11-inch piece of paper. Write your flag number on it, date it, and sign it.
7. Participants shall submit their pictures via the Picture Submission Portal (PSP) page. The Tour Director will have the final say regarding if pictures/photos submitted meet the requirements of the Rules for Participation. Picture requirements include:
A. Do not upload all your pictures at one time. Upload them as you go.
B. Take your pictures in high resolution.
C. At least half of your bike should be visible in the picture.
D. Be sure to check your pictures while still at the tour stop to ensure that your flag number is clearly visible. Check for sun glare, fingers covering numbers, grainy picture quality, etc. Submit a good picture so you can receive credit for the stop.
E. You do not need to rename your picture files. If you want to rename your picture files, do NOT use special characters in the name. Letters and numbers are fine. Special characters in the file name may cause the picture to not be visible when uploaded to the PSP. If not visible, you will not receive credit for the stop. (Bad Name Example: Tour Stop # 15) (Good Name Example: Tour Stop 15)
F. At least half of your bike should be visible in the picture.
G. Be very careful to enter your flag number correctly when uploading the PSP. If you enter the wrong flag number, you will not receive credit for the picture upload.
8. Participants that visit twenty-five (25) or more of the tour stops, properly documented and submitted, will receive credit as Tour Finishers. First year tour Finishers will receive a Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas patch and rocker reflecting the year they finished the tour. Participants who finish the tour in subsequent years will receive a rocker patch reflecting the year of their latest tour completion.
9. Prizes will be awarded to the tour participants with the top three highest number of points accumulated (points for tour stops plus points for purchases with specified sponsors). In the event of ties, the Tour Coordinator will base the tie breaker decision upon which participant uploaded their photo(s) first.
10. Participants in the tour will receive points for each tour stop that is properly documented. The point value of each tour stop will be posted to this web site. Some of the tour stops will be at sponsor locations (biker friendly businesses) or at the locations of non-profit organizations supported by the tour. Participants can receive additional points for purchases that they make with specified sponsors and/or donations they make with the two charities sponsored by the tour. To do so, they must submit a picture of a receipt from the sponsor’s business or charity. Receipts must show the name of the sponsor/charity, date of issuance, and amount of purchase or donation. Receipts must have been issued after the rider receives the tour flag and the rider must write his/her tour flag number on the receipt with a pen (do not write the number on picture of the receipt with a computer or smart phone). The receipt must have been obtained no sooner than March 1, 2023 (the date the picture submission portal opens) and no later than the tour ending date of the tour (the date the picture submission portal is closed). A maximum of three receipts per business/charity may be submitted. For purchases of $1.00 to $50.00, participants will receive five points. For purchases of more than $50.00, participants will receive 10 points. Make sure the receipt clearly shows the sponsor’s name, date of purchase, and amount of purchase. For on-line purchases/donations, submit a picture of the e-mail or print screen receipt/confirmation. The Tour Coordinator may contact the sponsor/charity for confirmation. Before submitting a receipt to the picture submission portal (PSP), write your flag number on the receipt in ink. For couples who want to split a receipt for food or lodging, write both flag numbers on the receipt (but submit the receipt to the portal under each flag number). For lodging receipts, each day of lodging (up to three days) will be counted as a separate receipt from the lodging sponsor.
11. The participants with the top three number of points will be recognized as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers and will receive prizes. When there are riders with the same number of points, the Tour Coordinator will decide based upon which participant submissions were uploaded first.
12. By registering for the tour, you agree to have your email address included on the email list for distribution of the “Tour Update” newsletter (via Constant Contact software). The newsletter is generally issued twice a month and provides information about the tour. Tour stop locations are subject to change, so be sure to read the newsletters for notification of any changes. In the event that a tour stop location needs to be changed, a new tour stop location that is nearby will be selected.
13. The following “disclaimer and photo release” applies and will be part of the on-line registration process.
Disclaimer and Photo Release
14. I understand that riding a motorcycle is subject to both foreseeable and unforeseeable risks and dangers. I further understand that operating a motorcycle is an activity that contains inherent risk of serious personal injury, dismemberment, paralysis, loss, property danger, and possible death. I hereby knowingly and freely accept the risks of all personal injury and property damage to both myself, my passenger, and to others arising from my participation in the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas tour.
15. I do hereby release, discharge, waive, hold harmless and agree that my dependents, successors, heirs, executors, and assigns do release, discharge, waive, hold harmless against, and indemnify Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas, its owners, employees, officers, agents, affiliates, directors, and assigns (collectively, “released parties”) from any and all claims, whether civil or criminal, including claims of death, bodily injury, illness, loss or property damage, however caused, arising from or related to a Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas activity or event.
16. I fully understand that I may encounter riding conditions and roads that I have not traveled before, have no prior knowledge of, and therefore will ride within a manner that is considered safe for those riding conditions. I agree to ride within my riding ability. I certify that I am in good health and have no mental or physical impairments that may affect my safety or the safety of others. I further certify (operator only) that I am a licensed motorcycle operator and that I hold a currently valid, state issued motorcycle license or endorsement to my driver’s license. I agree to ride in a safe manner and obey all traffic laws. Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas highly recommends that all riders/passengers in the tour wear a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet and other protective clothing/gear.
17. I understand that conditions at designated tour stop locations may change due to weather, construction, acts of God, and other reasons. If a tour stop location becomes unsafe, I understand that I am not to put myself or anyone else in an unsafe situation. I shall report the unsafe condition to the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas coordinator.
18. I understand that participation in the tour may be denied to any anyone who behaves or rides in a way that endangers others.
19. I understand that tour participants are not to consume or be under the influencer of intoxicants, alcohol, or drugs that could affect their normal mental or physical ability while riding on the tour. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in dismissal from the tour.
20. I understand that submission of photos is an essential requirement of participation in the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas.
21. I understand and agree that all photos that I submit to Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas will become the property of Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas and will not be returned.
22. I understand that Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas may use my likeness in photographs, video, or other digital media (“photo”) in any and all of its publications, including web-based publications, without payment or other consideration.
23. I hereby irrevocably authorize Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish, or distribute those photos for any lawful purpose. In addition, I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of photos.
24. I understand and agree that Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas, LLC (MCGT) shall not be considered to be in default or breach of this Agreement, and shall be excused from performance or liability for damages to any other party, if and to the extent it shall be delayed in or prevented from performing or carrying out any of the provisions of this Agreement, arising out of or from any act, omission, or circumstance by or in consequence of any act of God, labor disturbance, sabotage, failure of suppliers of materials, act of the public enemy, war, invasion, insurrection, riot, fire, storm, flood, ice, earthquake, explosion, epidemic, breakage or accident to machinery or equipment or any other cause or causes beyond such Party’s reasonable control, including any curtailment, order, regulation, or restriction imposed by governmental, military or lawfully established civilian authorities, death, incapacitation, serious illness, or any other unpreventable condition – medical, legal, or otherwise – that prevents MCGT from fulfilling its obligations under this Agreement.
25. I hereby hold harmless, release, and forever discharge Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas from all claims, demands, and causes of action which I, my heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on my behalf or on behalf of my estate have or may have by reason of this authorization.
If you understand and agree to all of the above statements, you can proceed to the Registration Page.