The purpose of the tour is to explore Texas on your bike and have a fun and safe time doing so. This is a Grand Tour, not a race. Make tour stops, see cool stuff, learn about some Texas and local history, meet the locals, and have fun.
Riders that make 25 or more of the tour stops are considered “Tour Finishers” and will earn a patch. If you want an opportunity to earn a prize, you can also submit receipts for purchases with designated tour sponsors (up to three receipts per sponsor), in accordance with the rules for participation.
Registered riders are to take a picture of their bike and their rally flag at the tour stop location. Be sure that your rally flag and the stop location are clearly identifiable in your picture. Do not send the pictures in low resolution. Check your pictures while still at the tour stop location to ensure that your flag number is clearly visible. Check for sun glare (you may need to change the angle), check that your fingers are not covering the flag number, check that your picture is not in low resolution or thumb nail mode, etc.
If you lose your tour flag, contact the Tour Director as soon as possible for a replacement flag (in accordance with the Rules for Participation).
THIS LIST OF TOUR STOPS BELOW IS NOT CONSIDERED COMPLETE. ADDITIONAL TOUR STOPS MAY BE ADDED UP UNTIL FEBRUARY 16, 2020. Do not assume that the tour stops listed below are in any particular order. You will want to check the links for locations and other information as you plan your touring trips.
The pdf is not a substitute for the information below it on this page. It serves as a convenient document that you can download and keep with you while traveling to keep track of the tour stops you have made and make notes about your trip and stops.
Click the site names below each picture for info about the site.
For sponsors, their addresses are listed. For most of the other tour stops, the links (click the name of the stop) take you to web sites that will help you find the locations. A little research may be required. Do not submit pictures before you receive your tour flag. Picture submissions must include your tour flag, with the exception specified in the Rules for Participation page. For pictures of receipts from specified sponsors, write your flag number on the receipt with a pen.
1. Popeye Statue (Crystal City, TX) = 5 points
There are two Popeye statues in Crystal City. The one at City Hall is best for the picture.
2. Platinum Level Sponsor: MotorcycleGear.com = 12 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical location: 7916 Private Road, Shallowater, TX 79363.
3. Robert Bruno’s Steel House (Ransom Canyon, TX) = 5 points
4. Texas Sidecar Company = 9 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical location: 106 FM 80, Donie, TX 75838.
Note: Donie Bank is in the heart of town. From Donie Bank (at the corner of FM164 and FM80), turn north onto FM80. TSC is the third building on the right from the bank.
5. Giant Root Beer Bottle (Dublin, TX) = 5 points
Warning: Do not submit pictures of the building, only the giant bottle counts.
6. Moto Liberty = 12 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical location: 15402 Midway Road, Addison, TX 75001
7. World’s Largest Shovel (Creedmoor, TX) = 5 points
8. No. 1 British Flying Training School Museum (Terrell, TX) = 5 points
Be sure to check their website for operating hours. The interior has a lot more to see than the exterior with its little sign would lead one to believe. I learned some fascinating history at this museum.
9. Broadcast Museum (Kilgore, TX) = 5 points
I really enjoyed seeing the technology of my childhood. Remember when TV screens were smaller, but they came incased in big, wooden cabinets? They have a lot of cool stuff to see. Be sure to check their website for current operating hours.
10. Flying L Ranch Resort = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 675 Flying L Drive, Bandera, TX
11. Texas Vintage Motorcycle Museum = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 100 North Nugent, Johnson City, TX
The museum is expected to open in March 2022.
12. Big Bend National Park Entry Sign (from any entrance) = 5 points
13. Big Bend Biker Hotel/Old Gringo = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical Address: 103 W Ave E, Alpine, TX 79830
14. Alamo BMW Motorcycles = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address:
25600 IH-10 W, Boerne, TX 78006
New Address: 9929 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78217
16. Old Fire Truck in Gladewater = 5 points
Location: Intersection of Broadway and Pacific streets
Warning: The fire truck is a separate tour stop from the Gladewater Museum Building.
17. Oil Derrick in Gladewater, TX = 5 points
Just go to downtown Gladewater, TX and you will find it.
18. The Gladewater Museum = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 116 W Pacific Avenue, Gladewater, TX
19. Hill Country Motorheads Motorcycle Museum = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 2001 W Highway 29, Burnet, TX 78611
Check their webpage for current operating hours.
20. Llano Depot Visitors Center = 5 points
21. Bolivar Point Lighthouse = 5 points
Location address: 419 Everett Ln, Port Bolivar, TX
Note: This lighthouse is not open to the public. Just take a picture with it in the background. Please do not disturb the residents and do not ask them if you can tour the lighthouse.
23. Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop/Bent Rim Grill = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 657 RR 337 W, Leakey, TX 78873
24. World’s Largest Killer Bee (Hidalgo, TX) = 5 points
25. Red Roof = 12 points + points for purchases*
Any Red Roof branded property can be used for your tour stop picture (anywhere in the US). You can find their locations at https://redroof.com. Tour riders can get a 15% discount on rooms by doing the following: On Red Roof website, go to the “special rate” box and select “VP+.” Then enter “628641” in the “Input VP+ code” box.
26. World’s Largest Working Fire Hydrant (Beaumont, TX) = 5 points
27. Classic Rock Coffee Co. & Kitchen = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 129 E. Washington Avenue, Navasota, TX 77868
28. San Saba County Courthouse (San Saba, TX) = 5 points
29. South Padre Island Water Tower = 5 points
Warning: Your picture must show the words “South Padre” that are painted on the tower.
30. The former Post Office in Old Glory, TX = 5 points
Warning: No credit will be given for pictures at the newer post office (across the street).
31. US Air Force Jet (Bay Street Park in Texas City – Enter near intersection of 14th Ave N & Bay St N) = 5 points
32. Texas Forestry Museum (Lufkin, TX) = 5 points
Be sure to check their website for operating hours. Get their sign in your tour stop picture.
33. Mural (Brady, TX) = 5 points
Location: Go to the intersection of Commerce St and College St. You will see the mural.
34. Paris Harley-Davidson= 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical location: 2875 NE Loop 286, Paris, TX 75460
35. South Main Iron = 5 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 255 SW 1st Street, Paris, TX 75460
36. Eiffel Tower (Paris, TX) = 5 points
37. Covered Bridge (Blanket, TX) = 5 points
Note: This is probably the most challenging tour stop to find. If you enter “Covered Bridge Lane, Blanket, TX” in Mapquest, you will find it. It is near the Creekbend Golf Course. There is a sign that says “Creekbend II” off of 377. Enter that street to get to Covered Bridge Lane and the bridge.
38. Train Depot Museum (Kingsville, TX) = 5 points
39. Giant Tomato Soup Can (Eastland, TX) = 5 points
40. Welcome to Post Sign (Post, TX) = 5 points
Location: Go to the intersection of Main St and Broadway St.
41. MSG Roy Benavidez Memorial (Cuero, TX) = 5 points + points for donations to VA Dogs*
Location: This memorial is across the street (Hwy 87/Broadway St) from Cuero High School.
I had the privilege to meet MSG Benavidez in the early 1980s. While I was a cadet in the Army ROTC program at Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State Univ.), he visited our ROTC unit. There is a very good write-up and video at:
Veterans Assistance Dogs of Texas (VA Dogs) is one of the non-profit organizations the tour supports by allowing riders to gain tour points for donation receipts submitted (in accordance with the rules for participation).
TO MAKE DONATIONS VA DOGS OF TEXAS, GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AT THIS LINK (VADOGS.ORG) and click the donate button. WHEN YOU FILL-OUT THE FORM, PLEASE INDICATE THAT YOU ARE RIDING WITH THE MOTORCYCLE GRAND TOUR OF TEXAS. YOU WILL RECEIVE A RECEIPT VIA EMAIL. SUBMIT A PICTURE OF THAT EMAIL RECEIPT TO THE PICTURE SUBMISSION PORTAL.
This is a great charity that trains service dogs to assist the lives of disabled Texas Veterans suffering from physical disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Military Sexual Trauma (MST) or a combination of these disabilities.
See the video below to hear Veterans talk about how the dogs they receive from this program have helped improve their lives.
42. Buffalo Statue in front of the Frontier Texas Museum (Abilene, TX) = 5 points
I really enjoyed this museum and highly recommend a visit.
43. Mason County Courthouse (Mason, TX) = 5 points
Location: 201 Fort McKavitt St, Mason, TX
The Mason County Courthouse was a beautiful building. An arsonist burned it down on February 5, 2021. It will be rebuilt. I hope they maintain the character and beauty of the building when it is rebuilt. Take your tour stop pictures in front of the courthouse. Hopefully, we will see the rebuilding taking place during the 2022 tour. If so, I will be sure to post rider pictures on the tour Facebook page.
Note: This was the second time it has burned down. The prior fire was in 1877.
44. Lone Star Rider – Riding for a Cure = 5 points + points for monetary donations*
TO MAKE DONATIONS TO THE AMERICAN DIABETES ASSOCIATION VIA LONE STAR RIDER’S “RIDING FOR A CURE” MISSION, GO TO THE WEBSITE AT THIS LINK. SUBMIT A PICTURE OF THE EMAIL RECEIPT TO THE PICTURE SUBMISSION PORTAL. When you fill-out the on-line donation form, put your name in the “name recognition box and tell him that you are participating in the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas in the “personal note” box.
GET A PICTURE OF YOUR BIKE AND RALLY FLAG WITH LONE STAR RIDER’S (Rex Covington) TRAILER. HE CARRIES A GPS LOCATOR. WHERE IS LONE STAR RIDER? CLICK HERE TO SEE HIS CURRENT LOCATION.
Rex Covington’s road name is Lone Star Rider. His son was a diabetic that died as a result of a diabetic blackout that caused him to crash his car. Rex is traveling with a very small trailer that he pulls behind his motorcycle to increase awareness about diabetes and raise funds for the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Below is a video that does a good job of describing Rex’s mission.
45. Hotel Texan = 12 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical location: 302 Main St, Seagraves, TX 79359
46. Center Point Park Museum Gate = 5 points
Location: 310 FM480, Center Point, TX 78010 (Not far from Kerrville, TX)
47. Western Heritage Museum and Lea Co. Cowboy Hall of Fame (Hobbs, NM) = 5 points
48. Harbord Kourt = 12 points + points for purchases*
Sponsor’s physical address: 2710 S. Commercial Ave., Coleman, TX 76834
49. Camp Hearne WW II Historic Site (Hearne, TX) = 5 points
50. Quanah Parker Arrow (Seminole, TX) = 5 points
BONUS POINTS – For five (5) bonus points, take one picture of your bike at a tour stop with your tour flag and a copy of Ride Texas magazine. You pick the tour stop location, but only submit one picture. Submitting multiple pictures with the magazine in the picture will not increase the bonus points – just send one. For a list of where you can get an issue of Ride Texas magazine, see this link.
*NOTES: In accordance with the Rules for Participation, points for purchases or donations may be obtained for up to three receipts submitted. Except for sponsors in the lodging business, the purchase of multiple items on one receipt shall be deemed one purchase and the points calculated shall be based upon the total amount paid (as reflected on the receipt). Receipts submitted for overnight stays with Sponsors in the lodging business will be given credit for multiple purchases for multiple day stays, up to a maximum of three days. See the Rules for Participation for additional details.